Cool it — safely

By Susan Aielo • Published: February 17th, 2011
Category: Animal Airwaves

Periodically changing automotive coolant, or antifreeze, is good routine maintenance to prevent overheating and prolong engine life. And most backyard mechanics can easily do it.

But this simple task can pose major health risks to pets. Your car’s coolant might not seem mouthwatering to you, but pets are often attracted to its sweet taste.

Depending on the coolant, drinking even small amounts can lead to serious and irreversible kidney damage that can be deadly for your pet or curious wildlife.

Keep animals healthy by collecting and properly disposing of all drained coolant, and thoroughly clean up any spills. Contact the Florida Department of Environmental Protection for information on how to properly discard chemical waste.

A few quick steps on your part will keep pets safe … and away from unsavory snacks.