New Baits Harming Rats and Wildlife

By Susan Aiello • Published: November 1st, 2011
Category: Animal Airwaves

It’s often said you are what you eat. In the case of wildlife, it’s not only what they eat but also what their prey eats. Such is the case with potent new rat poisons that may be harming both rodents and the animals that feed on them.

After eating poisoned bait, rodents weaken but generally don’t succumb for several days, making them easy meals for owls, bobcats and other hunters. If these predators eat enough, they can also become ill.

New regulations have limited the use of these potent rodent baits, but we can all do our part. When possible, control rodents by making the environment less attractive, such as by covering garbage bins and ensuring that no food is left out overnight. Use pesticides carefully and according to label directions.

And make sure that pets can’t get at pesticides or poisoned rodents. Remember, safety begins with you.