Bad chews can lead to sudden surgery

By Susan Aiello • Published: January 1st, 2012
Category: Animal Airwaves

Goats have been known to eat anything from cans to money. But the same can be said of many dogs.

Our furry friends love to chew rocks, sticks, bones and clothing, with many items being swallowed whole or in parts. These inedible objects often smell like food or have the owner’s scent.

Any dogs can decide on a bad chew, but bigger dogs are more prone to problems because they tend to swallow larger things. Sharp objects can puncture the intestines, and any item can block the gut. Both are true emergencies that can be fatal if not treated promptly.

So, if your chewer shows signs of intense belly pain such as gagging, vomiting or retching, or if your pet assumes a sawhorse stance, see a veterinarian immediately — emergency surgery may be needed.

The best defense against sudden surgery is to substitute safe toys and chews for riskier ones. Your veterinarian can recommend safer snacks.