Toxic mushrooms don’t belong on pet’s menu

 
By Susan Aiello • Published: February 1st, 2012
Category: Animal Airwaves
Play

From salads to sauces and pizza toppings, mushrooms are a delicious fungus enjoyed worldwide. Unfortunately, some species are poisonous, and pets can’t tell the difference.

When rainfall and humidity are high, wild mushrooms pop up overnight. Curious pups can gobble up these toxic treats, leading to serious illness.

In general, poisonous shrooms can cause one of two syndromes. Common red ones tend to cause liver damage, which is often fatal if enough of the poison is ingested. The toxins in white or brown mushrooms often cause neurologic signs such as drooling, tremors, fever and seizures.

These latter problems carry a better prognosis, but prompt treatment by a vet is crucial in either case. So enjoy the mushrooms on your burger, but keep pets away from the wild ones to prevent a trip to the emergency clinic from showing up on the menu.