Toxic temptations

 
By Connie Orcutt • Published: June 1st, 2012
Category: Animal Airwaves
Play

Assuming that a treat for you is a treat for your pet can be a deadly mistake. In fact, there are many foods you should avoid. Did you know that the xylitol sweetener in your candy, gum or even toothpaste can cause a drastic drop in blood sugar and seizures in dogs, cats, and ferrets? Veggies, fruits, and nuts may all seem like healthy choices, but beware. Onions can cause severe anemia in cows, horses, dogs and cats. And the leaves, bark and fruit of the avocado plant are toxic to a variety of animals, especially birds. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Macadamia nuts are toxic, too, and can cause vomiting, weakness and tremors.

Don’t be tricked by these treats. If your pet has eaten any of these foods, call your veterinarian or emergency veterinary clinic immediately.