Ordinary objects can be household hazards for pets

 
By Connie Orcutt • Published: October 1st, 2012
Category: Animal Airwaves
Play

Home is where the heart is, but it can be a virtual haz-mat site for pets. From fixtures to furniture polish, potential obstacles abound.

Paper shredders can catch fur, tongues or toes if the automatic feed is triggered with a touch or a lick. Recliners, while relaxing to us, can injure pets nestled inside. Trash cans are full of temptations … such as dental floss, staples, paper clips and bones… that can cause intestinal obstruction or perforation, and spoiled foods can make pets sick. Chewing on electrical wires may result in burns, seizures, breathing difficulties and even death. And household cleaners, glues and sweet-smelling potpourri can cause ulcerations and blockages when eaten. Even heavy doors that close quickly can injure small pets.

So take a pet’s-eye view and eliminate hazards inside your abode. Make home where the safety is!