Toxic homes for flighted friends

By Connie Orcutt • Published: December 1st, 2012
Category: Animal Airwaves

The list of seemingly innocuous household items that can harm pet birds is startling.

Fumes from heated nonstick coatings on pans or in ovens are often fatal to birds. And virtually all aerosols should be considered dangerous as should bleach vapors and scented oils in candles, incense and potpourri.

Even small amounts of lead or zinc can cause serious disease when ingested from paint, leaded glass, mirrors, lead weights and certain mini-blinds, ceramics, jewelry, zippers and foil on wine bottles. Amazingly, even some bird toys and cages can be tainted. Avocado and certain household plants are also poisonous.

Birds risk trauma when they are loose in areas containing boiling water, fireplaces, fans, radiators, glue traps or other pets.

So think like a bird and make your home safe for your feathered friend.