Guilting the lily

 
By Connie Orcutt • Published: March 1st, 2013
Category: Animal Airwaves
Play

Consider the lilies, how they grow — so lovely, but to some, so deadly.

True lilies, such as Tiger, Day and Easter lilies, are incredibly poisonous to cats. The identity of the specific toxin remains a mystery. But if a cat eats just a small amount of any part of a lily, including the pollen, death is likely within days. Vomiting, lethargy, tremors or seizures can start within six to 12 hours after ingestion. Next come signs of kidney failure, including excessive drinking and urinating, dehydration and lastly, the inability to produce urine.

Most cats will die if they don’t receive immediate treatment after lily ingestion. So if you think your cat has been exposed to a lily, contact your veterinarian right away. Better yet, if you’re a kitty family, plan to admire lilies from afar.