Beastly blooms

By Connie Orcutt • Published: April 1st, 2013
Category: Animal Airwaves

Some of nature’s most beautiful blooms are deadly toxins for your four-legged buddies.

Lilies are kryptonite to cats, and ingesting even tiny amounts can cause fatal kidney damage. Munching on any part of an azalea, rhododendron, amaryllis or chrysanthemum can cause animals to drool, vomit, have diarrhea and experience neurologic problems. In severe cases, toxins from those plants can be fatal. Similarly, consuming oleander or kalanchoe [kal-lan-KOE-ee] can cause digestive system irritation and life-threatening heart problems. With tulips or narcissus, only the bulbs are poisonous, but they can damage the digestive, cardiac and neurologic systems.

Time is of the essence if you think your pet has nibbled a toxic plant. Call the veterinary clinic right away to ask what you can do, then take your pet in as soon as possible.