More toxic traps

By Connie Orcutt • Published: May 1st, 2013
Category: Animal Airwaves

The list of toxic plants just keeps on growing. You might be surprised how many of these pretty poisons are right under your pet’s nose.

All parts of the Sago palm, found inside houses and out in yards, are toxic, particularly the seeds. In fact, eating just a seed or two can cause seizures, vomiting, diarrhea and liver failure. Ingested yew also packs a powerful wallop, causing disastrous neurologic and cardiac symptoms. Another strong toxin, produced by the castor bean plant, produces neurologic and gastrointestinal problems. An animal munching on either pothos [pō-thäs] or schefflera [she-flƏ-rƏ], both common houseplants, can suffer from oral irritation and swelling along with digestive tract woes. Even nibbling on English ivy can result in drooling, abdominal discomfort, vomiting and diarrhea.

So take stock, and keep your pet clear of these toxic traps.