Fighting venom with a vengeance

By Connie Orcutt • Published: October 1st, 2013
Category: Animal Airwaves

In many areas of the United States, dogs have run-ins with pit vipers. This group of venomous snakes includes copperheads, rattlesnakes and water moccasins.

Unless you witness a pit viper bite, you might not know for up to six hours that your pooch is in serious trouble. First, you might notice a swollen, painful area where the bite occurred. The venom interferes with blood clotting, causing bruises or red patches to form on your dog’s skin or gums. As your pooch’s blood pressure drops, you’ll probably notice rapid breathing and drooling. Without treatment, weakness, collapse and death can follow in short order.

The longer it takes to get treatment after a pit viper bite, the more severe your dog’s symptoms will become. If you suspect a snake bite or see these signs, seek veterinary help for your furry friend as soon as possible.