Oh Christmas tree

By Connie Orcutt • Published: December 1st, 2013
Category: Animal Airwaves

Holidays can signal tough times for pets. Rich foods, tantalizing treats and dazzling decorations can all spell danger. So what about the biggest ornament of all — a Christmas tree?

Munching on fir trees usually only causes mild irritation in a pet’s mouth or stomach, but swallowing the needles can be more treacherous. They aren’t easily digested and can puncture or obstruct your pet’s digestive tract — same goes for artificial tree parts. If your pet repeatedly vomits, stops eating or becomes lethargic, head straight to the veterinary clinic.

But the list goes on. Rambunctious pets can knock over holiday trees, and don’t forget the worrisome light cords and tinsel. Even the preservatives, pesticides or fertilizers in the tree holder can be poisonous.

So keep the holidays bright by keeping pets away from the tree, especially when they’re unmonitored.