Toxins imitating treats

 
By Connie Orcutt • Published: April 1st, 2015
Category: Animal Airwaves
Play

To our pets, any bright object can be a toy or a treat just begging to be chewed. But when that colorful creation is something very different, chomping on it can have disastrous results.

Laundry detergent pods are a case in point. In 2013, these brightly colored packets made the ASPCA’s list of the top 10 toxins reported to its Animal Poison Control Center.

While exposure to small doses of many cleaners may cause only mild tummy troubles, the soap in these plastic pods has more sinister effects. When the covering is punctured, the highly concentrated and pressurized detergent can burst into the airway, resulting in serious breathing problems. In fact, pet deaths from detergent pod ingestion usually stem from severe respiratory damage.

So if you purchase these candy-colored packets of suds, keep them far away from your furry friends.