Pets and aperitifs: just plain poison

 
By Connie Orcutt • Published: August 1st, 2017
Category: Animal Airwaves
Play

During the summer’s celebrations, you might be tempted to let your furry friend join in the fun. But when it comes to sharing spirits, think again.

Simply put, alcohol poisons pets. Even small tastes of your cocktail, wine or beer can cause your pet to become intoxicated. Then depending on the degree of toxicity, some animals can slip into comas or even die.

You might think pets would have no interest in alcoholic beverages. After all, they aren’t part of an animal’s natural diet. But many dogs — and even some cats — are attracted to drinks, especially beer. And they feel the effects within very short periods of time, so you have little warning that something’s amiss.

So, when you’re enjoying happy hours this summer, make your pet happy, too, by keeping alcohol at a safe distance.