‘Animal Airwaves’ Category

Animal Airwaves is a daily radio series that features one-minute segments relating to animal health. Each module focuses on different topic of interests to the owners of animals of all types, ranging from consumer tips offering insights into animal behavior, to veterinary patient care breakthroughs and trends. A production of the UF College of Veterinary Medicine, HSC communications staff and WUFT-FM in Gainesville, Animal Airwaves appears three times each day in the local public radio coverage area.

» Visit the Animal Airwaves Website

Page 1 of 5712345...102030...Last »


Audio LIVE: Getting into Veterinary School

Apr 12, 2014 • By Speaker: Dr. Julia Conway

Podcast: Play in new window | Download Thinking of applying to veterinary school? The path to acceptance requires a lot of hard work and dedication, but the rewards of a career in veterinary medicine can be great. The study of veterinary medicine can lead not only to clinical practice, but also to work in public […]

Audio LIVE: Open House 2014

Apr 5, 2014 • By Speaker: Dr. Pam Ginn, with UF veterinary students

Podcast: Play in new window | Download The UF College of Veterinary Medicine’s annual Open House, scheduled for April 12 this year, is a tradition in Gainesville for people of all ages. Dr. Pam Ginn, associate dean for students and instruction, joins some of the students involved in planning the event to talk about what […]

Audio Raw food diet

Apr 1, 2014 • By Connie Orcutt

Podcast: Play in new window | Download Why is it that many veterinarians nix commercial raw meat diets for cats even though our frisky felines eat the mice and birds they kill? One big difference is that when cats kill prey, they eat it before bacteria can grow. As raw meat is sorted, ground and […]

Audio One Health and disaster relief

Apr 1, 2014 • By Connie Orcutt

Podcast: Play in new window | Download Like humanitarian groups crossing geopolitical borders to aid people during disasters, veterinary nonprofits provide international disaster relief and more for animals. Such relief efforts can help people prepared to risk their lives to stay and help their animals, whether they be pets or livestock. Every country and every […]

Audio Menacing mushrooms

Apr 1, 2014 • By Connie Orcutt

Podcast: Play in new window | Download Although 99 percent of mushrooms are nontoxic, the remaining 1 percent can be fatal to our four-legged friends. Cats very rarely munch on mushrooms, but the dried species they favor — Amanita muscaria and Amanita pantherina — can sometimes be lethal. Dogs also prefer those species, perhaps because […]

Audio Bringin’ it for Bubbles

Apr 1, 2014 • By Connie Orcutt

Podcast: Play in new window | Download This real-life story features a dog’s stamina, a woman’s compassion and top-notch veterinary skill. Bubbles, a Neapolitan mastiff mix, was found as a stray in Baltimore and taken in by a shelter in South Carolina. Dedicated to finding Bubbles a home, the shelter’s director knew she first had […]

Audio Getting your cat’s cold shoulder

Apr 1, 2014 • By Connie Orcutt

Podcast: Play in new window | Download If you wonder why your cat won’t come when you call, you’re not the only one. Researchers at the University of Tokyo recently performed simple tests on 20 household felines in the cats’ own homes. When the owner was out of sight, a researcher played recordings of three […]

Audio Valuing the sight in service

Apr 1, 2014 • By Connie Orcutt

Podcast: Play in new window | Download Beginning in 2008, the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists annually honors service animals by hosting the National Service Animal Eye Exam Event. During the event, more than 250 veterinary ophthalmologists throughout the U.S. donate their time and resources to provide free eye exams for thousands of guide dogs, […]

Audio Cancer is a scourge for pets too

Apr 1, 2014 • By Connie Orcutt

Podcast: Play in new window | Download Although we pamper our pets, it seems that many of us know little about their risk of developing certain diseases. Take cancer for example. Did you know that dogs develop cancer at about the same rate we do? In fact, cancer causes nearly 50 percent of all disease-related […]

Audio What’s in an ounce of prevention?

Apr 1, 2014 • By Connie Orcutt

Podcast: Play in new window | Download With 70 million doted-on dogs and 74 million coddled cats kept as pets in the U.S., we Americans love our four-legged companions. But as veterinary visits have dropped by 30 percent over the past decade, our pampered pets are suffering from growing health problems. In the past six […]

Page 1 of 5712345...102030...Last »